NMC publishes the TEQ 2021 draft regulation, details
New Delhi: With the aim of maintaining the level of education in medical institutions, the National Medical Commission (NMC) presented a draft regulation 2021 on teacher eligibility and minimum qualifications in medical institutions.
This can be seen as another from the NMC, the supreme medical education regulator responsible for standardizing medical education across India, as these new regulations have repealed the old rules.
However, these new regulations made it clear that “everything contained in this regulation, with regard to appointments made under the 1998 Regulation on Minimum Qualifications for Teachers of Medical Institutions or the recommendation of previous councils, will be protected, notwithstanding all the provisions of these Rules. “
Also read: New NMC regulations set out DM, MCh feeder qualifications, selection procedure
These regulations include standards for the appointment of professors in medical institutions, rules for determining the equivalent qualification of DNB with MD / MS and DM / M.Ch, the eligibility required to be appointed as a postgraduate guide, the standards for the appointment of professors and their promotions, to determine the teaching appointments for consultants / specialists for the constitution of a medical school or the start of a postgraduate course, to determine the teaching appointments for the consultants / specialists in medical institutions of defense services, and the rules for appointing guest faculties, etc.
In addition, the issue of faculty appointment and promotion has been addressed separately in the regulation, as NMC has mentioned the standards for appointment and promotion of faculty in major specialties (MD / MS) that have been around for over of 10 years, which were established by the former Medical Council of India and have been operational for less than ten years, as well as the new general specialty courses proposed to be instituted by the NMC in separate tables.
Another table in the regulation deals with appointment and promotion to the dental department of a medical school. In addition, the standards for the appointment of professors and their promotion in super-specialties (DM / M.Ch) for which the course was established by the former MCI and has been operational for more or less than ten years, and the new courses offered to be initiated by the NMC were also mentioned in the Regulations. These regulations also specified the appointment of professors during the transition period.
In addition, the index of teaching specialties was also mentioned in the Regulation and the NMC clarified: “The nomenclature of specialties / subjects should, as far as possible, be the same as that contained in the Regulation on postgraduate medical training, 2021. Any addition of a new specialty in the Regulation respecting postgraduate medical training, 2021 will also result in an addition to the corresponding table of this Regulation.
Apart from this, the regulation also specified the general standards regarding foreign postgraduate qualifications to consider them as equivalent.
General standards for the appointment of professors in medical institutions:
Any appointing authority, before making an appointment to a teaching post in a college or medical establishment, must observe the following standards:
1. All medical teachers must have a basic university degree or equivalent qualification included in one of the annexes of the Indian Medical Council Act, 1956 (102 of 1956) and the National Medical Commission Act, 2019. They must also be registered in a medical state. Register or National Medical Register, except for teachers without medical qualification.
2. The maximum age limit up to which a person may be appointed, extended or rehired in service against the posts of teachers or deans or principal or director, as the case may be, which must be filled in accordance with the Standards of the National Medical Commission of any medical faculty or educational institution for providing higher and higher medical education will be 70 years.
3. In the departments of anatomy, physiology and biochemistry, non-medical graduates with a master’s degree in science. (Medical) granted by the University of Health Sciences or medical schools as a regular full-time on-campus course with doctorate. qualification in the relevant medical subject from a recognized university, in the relevant subject, may be appointed assistant professors. The proportion of non-medical teachers can reach up to 15% of the total number of teaching posts in this department. In the Department of Community Medicine, the assistant professor of statistics must have a master’s degree in science. with doctorate degree from a recognized university. A non-medical person cannot be appointed dean or director or principal or medical superintendent or department head. Provided that non-medical graduates appointed assistant professor in the subjects of anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pharmacology and microbiology on the basis of an M.Sc. degree before the entry into force of the Qualifications Regulation minimum for teachers in medical establishments, 1998 on 12/05/1998, will be eligible to be considered as assistant professor. However, a Ph.D. degree in the relevant medical field is essential for promotion to a higher education position. These individuals will also be eligible after retirement to serve as a professor in the same post from which they had retired until the legal age to serve in a medical school.
4. The appointing authority may regard holders of equivalent postgraduate degrees, which may be approved by the National Medical Commission from time to time, as the recognized qualification required in the relevant subject.
5. In cases where candidates with the required experience are not available, a referral may be made by the appointing authority to the National Medical Commission for merit review.
6. The post of Dean / Director / Principal of a Medical Institution should be occupied by a person holding a recognized postgraduate medical degree from a recognized institution with a minimum of ten years of teaching experience as a as a professor / associate professor in a college / medical institution, over whom at least five years should be as a professor in the department. Appointments to these positions are made on the basis of seniority and merit. The post of Dean / Director / Principal of a Medical Institution is a full-time administrative post and they should not occupy a Unit / Head of Department position. But he will be able to render clinical services and will be considered as a professor in the Department.
7. The medical superintendent of the affiliated university hospital must have a recognized postgraduate medical degree from a recognized institution with a minimum of ten years teaching experience as a professor / associate professor in a clinical department, including at least five years as a teacher. Appointments to these positions are made on the basis of seniority and merit. The medical superintendent will not be the head of department. However, he can lead the second unit or a subsequent unit.
8. The post of director of an autonomous specialized postgraduate institution will be occupied by a person holding a recognized postgraduate degree from a recognized institution with at least ten years of teaching experience as a professor. / associate professor, of whom at least five years should also be a professor.
9. The position of director of the autonomous postdoctoral super specialty institution will be occupied by a person possessing a recognized graduate degree from a recognized institution with a minimum of ten years of teaching experience as a professor. / associate professor, of which at least five years should be as a professor. However, during the ten-year transition period from the notice in the Gazette of the super specialty course by the former MCI / NMC, if no eligible candidate with a recognized super specialty degree is available, then the post Director in this autonomous postgraduate super specialty
10. Appointments to these administrative positions in government institutions, including management arrangements, from among eligible candidates will be based on Inter vertical seniority based on the date of entry into the institution / service.
11. The post of head of department in faculties / medical institutions is rotated for a period of three years among professors.
12. The period spent by the faculty with a view to acquiring a higher degree (general specialty / super specialty) in simultaneous functions / delegations will not be counted as teaching experience to fulfill the eligibility criteria for the promotion.
13. For holders of MD – Ph.D. in medical subjects, the period spent during the doctorate. will be considered equivalent to the period of primary residence and they are eligible for direct appointment as assistant professors in the relevant subject.
14. The statistician with master’s and doctoral degrees, who has been appointed assistant professor in the department of community medicine, may benefit from career advancement. But, he cannot be the head of the community medicine department.